Who this training is for
Mandatory training for employees who work with or who are at risk of exposure to chemicals in the workplace.
This is intended as an introductory module to chemical safety in the workplace. The Health and Safety Authority has also developed a follow-on module entitled chemical safety in the workplace – level 2 which provides more detailed information on chemical hazards. This module can also be accessed on HSelanD.
This provides a basic overview of workplace chemical safety.
On successful completion of this course, you should be able to:
- differentiate between hazardous and non-hazardous chemicals
- identify ways hazardous chemicals can enter the body
- recognise inventory chemicals; their hazards, uses, frequency of use, storage conditions and volumes
- find information on chemical through the use of labels and SDSs
- examine risk and determine possible risk reduction measures using the hierarchy of control
Topic 1: Understanding chemicals
Topic 2: Identifying the hazard
Topic 3: Chemical safety in the workplace
How to book
Online via www.hseland.ie
There is an online assessment to be completed.
An online certificate of completion will be issued.
Health and Safety Authority (HSA)
Additional training may be required due to the complexity of the hazards, risk process and controls (including local emergency and spillage procedures) in your workplace. These additional needs should be identified by each line manager in consultation with their staff through the training needs assessment process.