Skip to main content

Warning notification:Warning

Unfortunately, you are using an outdated browser. Please, upgrade your browser to improve your experience with HSE. The list of supported browsers:

  1. Chrome
  2. Edge
  3. FireFox
  4. Opera
  5. Safari

Career breaks

You can take a career break for:

  • domestic reasons (for example, child-rearing)
  • educational purposes (for example, getting a post-graduate qualification)
  • foreign travel

Who can apply for a career break

Employees who have completed their probation period can apply for a career break.

If you are still on probation, you may be granted a career break in special cases (for example, to cope with unusual domestic difficulties). Your probation in this case will be extended by the length of the career break.

Approval of career break applications

Career breaks are granted at the discretion of management and subject to service requirements. Your manager will consider your application based on service needs and advise you of their decision.

Length of career break

The minimum period for a career break is one year (except where leave is needed to cope with unusual domestic difficulties). The maximum period is 5 years.

Taking multiple career breaks

You may be granted a maximum period of 3 career breaks which, when added up, do not exceed 8 years.

If you have previously taken a career break, you must be currently working for a period of time which is either the same or longer than the length of your previous career break before you can apply for a second or third career break.

In special cases, this period of service between career breaks may be waived.

Notice to return to work

When your career break ends, a vacancy may not be available, so you may be offered a lower-grade post as a temporary arrangement.

You will receive the salary applicable to that post during this period. You are guaranteed reemployment in your substantive grade within 12 months of the end of the career break.

You must give at least 3 months notice of your intention to return to work. Your right to return to work when the career break ends depends on you giving this notice.

Taking a career break after special leave

You may want to take a career break immediately following a period of special leave with nominal pay. You can do this as long as the combined leave does not exceed 5 years.

NCHD career breaks

Provisions on career breaks for non-consultant hospital doctors (NCHDs) (PDF, 137 KB, 1 page).

How to apply

You can apply for a career break by submitting the career break application form to your department head.

HR Form - career break application form HR105 (PDF, 323 KB, 5 pages)

Related documents

HR Circular 010-2013 - career breaks (PDF, 75.9KB, 2 pages)

Career breaks for non-consultant hospital doctors (NCHDs) (PDF, 137 KB, 1 page)

HR Form - career break application form HR105 (PDF, 323 KB, 5 pages)

National HR Employee Helpdesk

Phone: 1800 444 925


The helpdesk is open 8am to 5pm, Monday to Friday