Continuing professional development (CPD) for nurses and midwives
Nurses and midwives maintain and improve their knowledge, skills and competence through continuing professional development (CPD).
CPD is an integral component in the ongoing delivery of safe quality care for the benefit of service users.
The Office of the Nursing & Midwifery Services Director (ONMSD) provides you with a range of options and resources to help you with your CPD.
You may need to find programmes to meet your
- short-term goals, such as maintaining your practice or meeting your professional requirements
- long-term goals, such as furthering your career or changing career direction.
Some ways you can incorporate CPD into your work life:
- Speak with your line manager and complete your professional development plan.
- Book a place on a CNME programme.
- Link with the National Clinical Leadership Centre.
- Use the HSELaND nursing and midwifery hub.
- Apply for funding for a short or formal academic education programme
- Apply for a sponsorship scheme provided by ONMSD
- National Clinical Care Programmes - Foundation (Level 8)
- Talk to your local NMPDU officer or your local CNME