UL Hospitals Group: Patient Council
The Patient Council advises hospital management on ways to improve hospital services. Council members inform and contribute to our efforts in providing patient-centred healthcare service.
The Patient Council is made up of 11 members of the public and 8 staff members. It was set up in 2016.
The council are active partners in our hospitals. They provide a strong, independent voice for patients, service users and their families.
Work of the Patient Council
The Patient Council is involved in committees and projects within our hospital group. These projects included work on planning:
- the new Emergency Department
- the new 60-bed inpatient block that is currently under construction
Members of the Council take part in various committees. These include:
- end-of-life care
- nutrition and hydration
- directional signage
- patient flow
- developing improvement plans in response to the National Patient Experience Survey.
The Council reports to the Quality Improvement Committee in UL Hospitals Group.
Patient Council members are:
- Melody Buckley, Public Member
- Dr Gerry Burke, Chief Clinical Director (Interim), UL Hospitals Group
- Kay Caball, Public Member
- Mike Dwane, Communications Officer, UL Hospitals Group
- Catherine English, Public Member
- Jill Franz, Public Member
- Margaret Gleeson (vice-chair), Chief Director of Nursing and Midwifery, UL Hospitals Group
- John Hannafin (chair), Public Member
- Niamh Hogan, PALS Manager, UL Hospitals Group, Limerick City
- Declan McNamara, Director of Nursing, Perioperative Directorate, UL Hospitals Group
- Tammy Meaney, Public Member
- Donal O’Brien, Public Member
- Dr Nuala O’Connell, Consultant Microbiologist, UL Hospitals Group
- Niamh O’Grady, Directorate Manager, Operational Services Directorate, UL Hospitals Group
- John O’Neill, Public Member
- Marina Rankin, Business Manager, Diagnostics Directorate, UL Hospitals Group
- Judy Ryan, Public Member
- Michael Ryan, Public Member
- Michael Sheehan, Public Member
Kaoife McElligott, Office of the Chief Director of Nursing and Midwifery, UL Hospitals Group (secretary to the Patient Council)
You can contact the council by email at email@example.com.