UL Hospitals Group: Patient Council
The Patient Council advises hospital management on ways to improve hospital services. Council members inform and contribute to our efforts in providing patient-centred healthcare service.
The Patient Council is made up of 12 members of the public and 7 staff members. It was set up in 2016.
The council are active partners in our hospitals. They provide a strong, independent voice for patients, service users and their families.
Work of the Patient Council
The Patient Council is involved in committees and projects within our hospital group. These projects included work on planning our new Emergency Department and recently completed inpatient accommodation such as the 60-bed block at University Hospital Limerick.
Members of the Council take part in various committees. These include:
- end-of-life care
- nutrition and hydration
- directional signage
- patient flow
- developing improvement plans in response to the National Patient Experience Survey.
Patient Council members are:
- Melody Buckley, Public Member
- Kay Caball, Public Member
- Janice Cahill, Business Manager, Diagnostics Directorate, UL Hospitals Group
- Mike Dwane, Media and Public Affairs Manager, UL Hospitals Group
- Catherine English, Public Member
- Anne Fitzgibbon, Public Member
- Jill Franz, Public Member
- John Hannafin (chair), Public Member
- Niamh Hogan, PALS Manager, UL Hospitals Group
- Marie Killowry, Public Member
- Prof Brian Lenehan, Chief Clinical Director, UL Hospitals Group
- Declan McNamara,(vice-chair) Director of Nursing, Medicine Directorate, UL Hospitals Group
- Tammy Meaney, Public Member
- Bernadette Moore, Public Member
- Niamh O’Grady, Directorate Manager, Operational Services Directorate, UL Hospitals Group
- Elizabeth O’Leary, PALS Manager, UL Hospitals Group
- John O’Neill, Public Member
- Judy Ryan, Public Member
- Michael Ryan, Public Member
You can contact the council by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.