Over time, the demands and responsibilities of a post can change. The Job Evaluation Scheme assesses if a job’s grade is properly matched to its duties and responsibilities. You can apply for an evaluation of your post if it satisfies evaluation criteria.
Independent evaluation teams consisting of one HSE representative and one FORSA representative carry out evaluations. Your application form and a telephone conversation form part of the evaluation.
The evaluation assessment awards a post a total number of points based on set criteria.
Posts and grades
The scheme covers HSE clerical and administrative grades III to VI, and related grades. To be eligible to apply you must be in your post for at least two years.
You can apply for evaluation of your substantive post whilst on a temporary appointment. To be eligible to apply, you must not be out of your substantive post for more than two years.
Making an application
Complete the job evaluation application form
Your line manager (Grade V or above) must verify that the duties of your post are accurately reflected on the form.
Your application is then forwarded to a senior manager (Grade VIII or above). The senior manager forwards it to your division's National Director to submit to the scheme. National director approval application form
The application form is structured and targeted. You should list your duties and answer all the questions. These are designed to map your duties onto the competency and knowledge in each category.
- read the guidelines about the procedure
- be aware of the set criteria under which a post is examined and scored (see how a post evaluated)
- read the questions carefully
- answer all the questions (do not say questions are ‘not applicable’)
- present your role in the best possible light, but without exaggerating (your line manager verifies your answers)
- give full and consistent answers, avoiding generalisations
- do not cut and paste answers
- give examples and descriptions of elements of your job that specifically relate to the factors for evaluation
- use additional space where more is needed to include relevant details
After submitting your application
- Your application form is assessed to ensure that it is complete.
- Fully completed applications that have been validated will be entered on to a database and receive a reference number. Incomplete applications are returned to the applicant for completion.
- The evaluation team will contact you when evaluating your application, clarifying your duties and responsibilities where necessary, to assist in making their decisions.
How a post is evaluated
A post is examined and preliminary scored against set criteria under five key headings:
- Professional and technical competence
- Problem solving
- Decision making
- Responsibility and accountability
All preliminary scores are then reviewed by the Quality Assurance team resulting in the final decision of the evaluation.
The outcome of the job evaluation will be sent to you and your management chain as relevant to the role.
If the outcome of the job evaluation recommends that the post is upgraded, your employer will begin the process of filling this higher-grade post in line with Job Evaluation Scheme 2016 Circular (014/2016) (PDF, 106KB, 2 pages)
The decision of the evaluators is not open to review and the outcome of the evaluation process is not open to appeal. A request for a review of the process can be facilitated if you believe it was flawed.
Evaluated posts cannot be re-evaluated until two years after the evaluation date.