Nurse and midwife medicinal product prescribing
The Office of Nursing and Midwifery Services Director (ONMSD) is responsible for leading the national implementation of nurse and midwife medicinal product prescribing in Ireland.
The Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland (NMBI) provides professional regulation for registered nurse/midwife prescribers (RN/MPs).
The prescribing of medicinal products is an expanded role following successful completion of an approved education programme and registering with the NMBI as a registered RN/MP (See how to register in resources section below).
RN/MPs must adhere to:
- professional regulation
- National and Local Health Service Provider Policies, Procedures, Protocols and Guidelines (PPPGs)
- Each RN/MP is responsible for keeping up-to-date with advances in medicinal product prescribing
Publications to support nurse and midwife medicinal product prescribing:
- National Nurse and Midwife Medicinal Product Prescribing Guideline
- Sample Addendum Template (docx)
- Guidance on Governance for the Registered Nurse and Midwife Prescriber working in an Integrated Role (PDF).
- Nurse and Midwife Medicinal Product Prescribing Toolkit - Authorised Medicinal Products, off-label prescription and Exempt Medicinal Products (PDF)
- Registration with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland (NMBI) as a Registered Nurse or Registered Midwife Prescriber (RN/MP) (PDF, size 1.6 MB)
The Certificate in Nursing/Professional Diploma (Nurse/Midwife Prescribing) is currently funded by the Health Service Executive (HSE) for all nurses and midwives who are employed by the voluntary and statutory services of the HSE and nurses employed by the Irish Prison Service (IPS) who meet the entry criteria.
eNetworks is an electronic communication network for RN/MPs, prescribing site coordinators (PSCs) and other relevant staff.
The purpose of these networks is to enable RN/MPs/candidates/PSCs support and assist each other by providing them with an opportunity for discussion, collaboration and communication relating to nurse midwife prescribing matters.
Registration Process for eNetworks
Audit of nurse and midwife prescribing is essential to support best practice in the delivery and evaluation of their practice.
Sample tools to assist in the audit process for nurse/midwife medicinal product prescribing:
- Guidance for Clinical Audit (PDF)
- Sample Audit Tool that can be adapted locally (doc)
- Sample Audit Tool (Appropriateness of Medication Index) (doc)
- Sample Template for Quality Improvement Plan (docx).
- Clinical Audit Report Template (docx)
- Clinical Audit Tool Excel (xlsx)
Clare Mac Gabhann - National Lead and HSE South, Director of Nursing and Midwifery (Prescribing)
NMPDU HSE South
St Marys Health Campus
Ruth Hoban - HSE West, Assistant Director of Nursing and Midwifery (Prescribing)
Centre of Nurse and Midwifery Education
St Marys Campus
F23 XE 39
Cora Lunn - Director of Nursing (Dublin Mid-Leinster Medicinal Product Prescribing)
Office of the Nursing & Midwifery Services
C/o Nursing & Midwifery Planning & Development, Health Service Executive West, Mid West
31/33 Catherine Street
Phone: 086 3885190