Nurse and midwife medicinal product prescribing (ONMSD)
The Office of Nursing and Midwifery Services Director (ONMSD) is responsible for leading the national implementation of nurse and midwife medicinal product prescribing in Ireland.
The Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland (NMBI) provides professional regulation for registered nurse/midwife prescribers (RN/MPs).
The prescribing of medicinal products is an expanded role following successful completion of an approved education programme and registering with the NMBI as a registered RN/MP.
RN/MPs must adhere to:
- professional regulation
- national and local health service provider policies
- policies, procedures, protocols and guidelines
- work within their scope of practice
Each RN/MP is responsible for keeping up-to-date with advances in medicinal product prescribing.
Publications to support nurse and midwife medicinal product prescribing:
- National Nurse and Midwife Medicinal Product Prescribing Guideline
- Guidance on Governance for the Registered Nurse and Midwife Prescriber working in an Integrated Role.
- Nurse and Midwife Medicinal Product Prescribing Toolkit - Authorised Medicinal Products, off-label prescription and Exempt Medicinal Products
The Certificate in Nursing/Professional Diploma (Nurse/Midwife Prescribing) is currently funded by the HSE for all nurses and midwives who are employed by the voluntary and statutory services of the HSE and who meet the entry criteria.
Data collection system
The nurse and midwife prescribing data collection system is a web application for the retrospective recording of prescription information.
It is not a prescription system, nor should it be used for recording clinical or patient information.
Login to the system is restricted to registered nurse/midwife prescribers (RN/MP) and authorised users who have been provided with a password to accompany their username, which is their NMBI PIN.
eNetworks is an electronic communication network for registered nurse/midwife prescribers, prescribing site coordinators (PSC) and other relevant staff.
The purpose of these networks is to enable RN/MP/candidates/PSC support and assist each other by providing them with an opportunity for discussion, collaboration and communication relating to nurse midwife prescribing matters.
Audit of nurse and midwife prescribing is essential to support best practice in the delivery and evaluation of their practice.
Sample tools to assist in the audit process for nurse/midwife medicinal product prescribing:
- Guidance for Clinical Audit
- Sample Audit Tool that can be adapted locally
- Sample Audit Tool (Appropriateness of Medication Index)
- Sample Template for Quality Improvement Plan
- Clinical Audit Report Template
- Clinical Audit Tool Excel
Clare Mac Gabhann - National Lead and HSE South, Director of Nursing and Midwifery (Prescribing)
NMPDU HSE South
St Marys Health Campus
Maureen Nolan - HSE Dublin Mid-Leinster Medicinal Product Prescribing and Director of Nursing, National Lead for the Implementation and Audit of Nurse Prescribing of Ionising Radiation
HSE Suite 3, First Floor
Vista Primary Care Centre
Ballymore Eustace Road
Phone: 086 601 2195
Rachael Comer - HSE West, Assistant Director of Nursing and Midwifery (Prescribing)
Centre of Nursing and Midwifery Education
St Mary's Campus
Rose Lorenz - HSE Dublin North-East, Assistant Director of Nursing and Midwifery, NMPDU North-East
St. Brigid's Complex