Published: 3 September 2021
About World Suicide Prevention Day
World Suicide Prevention Day (WSPD), 10th September, is a global public health day for raising awareness and understanding about suicide prevention and mobilising local and international support for action.
WSPD was first introduced by the International Association of Suicide Prevention (IASP). The IASP theme for 2021 is 'Creating Hope Through Action'. In Ireland, this is a theme that underpins our collective efforts to prevent suicide and is reflected in our national suicide prevention strategy, Connecting for Life.
WSPD is a time to signal to those who are vulnerable, or those experiencing suicidal thoughts, that we care about and want to support them. That there is hope. This helps to create a more compassionate society, where people feel comfortable coming forward to seek help if they need it
Partner pack for World Suicide Prevention Day 2021
The HSE National Office for Suicide Prevention (NOSP) has provided a Partner Pack for WSPD 2021, containing social media images, recommended messaging, and suggested actions you can take, to create hope.
Creating Hope Through Action
Here are six simple actions you can take to help create hope in yourself and others.
- Reach in - Reach into someone you know might be struggling or to someone who you know has struggled before.
- Reach out - If you are feeling particularly low or hopeless, always remember that sharing things with someone else will help.
- Reconnect – Find ways to re-establish meaningful connections for people, wherever they have been lost or damaged. A good sense of belonging is important for people’s mental health
- Learn more – Learn more about suicide prevention and how to recognise and identify people who might be at risk of suicide, confidently ask them about suicide, and connect them with resources that can help.
- Show your support - Connect with a support or community organisation - volunteer, help spread their messages, and become involved in activities that help promote positive mental health and wellbeing, or suicide prevention in your community.
- Know where to turn - Get to know what mental health services and supports are available, and tell more people about them.
Remember HSE YourMentalHealth Information Line, is available anytime day or night, for information on what other services and supports are available near you – freephone 1800 111 888 or visit www.yourmentahealth.ie.
From the HSE National Office for Suicide Prevention (NOSP). Contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.