Published: 1 October 2021
Watch Chief Clinical Officer, Dr Colm Henry explain the importance of getting the flu vaccine this autumn for all HSE staff
If you work in healthcare, you are 10 times more likely to get the flu. Getting the flu vaccine is the best way to help protect yourself and patients in healthcare settings.
Getting the flu vaccine
The flu vaccine is available free of charge to HSE staff to protect you and to prevent the spread of flu to the vulnerable people you care for. Flu vaccine clinics will be advertised locally to staff this year. Each area will have a combination of peer vaccinator clinics and options for staff to receive their vaccines in local GP practices or pharmacies.
CEO Paul Reid said, “The flu vaccine is currently available for all HSE staff. I would encourage everyone to avail of it, given the likely challenges of the upcoming winter season. Over recent years we have seen encouraging trends in its uptake and it is important that we build on this. The Flu vaccine offers you, our patients, service users and our local communities the greatest protection possible. You have shown great support given the high uptake of the COVID-19 vaccine, which we wish to extend to the flu vaccine also. Many thanks for your continued support.”
The flu vaccine is the best way to protect yourself and your patients from the flu
Find out the facts
Here are some important flu vaccine facts that you can share with your patients, service users and vulnerable family members:
- Flu is a serious illness. Up to 500 people die from flu each year in Ireland.
- If you work in healthcare you are 10 times more likely to get the flu
- The flu vaccine is very safe. It does not contain any live viruses. This means it cannot give you the flu.
- The circulating influenza viruses change each year, so each year the composition of the flu vaccine changes to protect against the new strains of flu virus expected. This is why you need to get the flu vaccine every year.
- You can get both the COVID-19 and flu vaccines at the same time if you have not yet had your COVID-19 vaccine. The COVID-19 vaccine will not protect you against the flu.
Complete the eLearning module
The Flu eLearning Module is available on HSELanD for all staff to complete. The program will help update and educate all staff in the Health Service about the Flu Vaccine. It also answers some common concerns or questions about the vaccine.
Protect Yourself, Protect Others
Visit HSE.ie/flu for more information