Sponsorship of Nurse & Midwife Medicinal Product Prescribing Education Programme
Sponsorship is available for nurses and midwives who want to apply to do a Certificate in Nursing/Professional Diploma (Nurse/Midwife Prescribing).
This is available to nurses and midwives employed by the voluntary and statutory services of the Health Service Executive (HSE) and nurses employed by the Irish Prison Service (IPS) who meet the entry criteria.
Nurse and midwives medicinal product prescribing education programmes are provided by many Higher Education Institutions (HEIs). The education programmes meet the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland (NMBI) requirements and standards for Prescriptive Authority for Nurses and Midwives Standards and Requirements (2015).
You can see start dates for September 2022 and January 2023 on the Medicinal Product Prescribing Education Programme Flyer
Who can apply?
To apply for this sponsorship scheme you must:
- be registered on the General, Psychiatric, Children’s, Intellectual Disability, Midwife or Public Health Nurse Divisions of the NMBI Register
- have 3 years recent post-registration clinical experience in nursing or midwifery within the past 5 years with the equivalent of 1-year full time experience in the specific area of practice
- have the competencies recognised at level 8 on the Irish National Framework of Qualifications
- demonstrate evidence of further education
- have a competent level of computer literacy
- be currently employed as a nurse or midwife in the voluntary and statutory services of the HSE or a nurse employed by the IPS
- have support from your employer to undertake the programme
- nominate and confirm a designated mentor (medical practitioner)
How to apply
As part of the HEI application process, you will need to download and complete the site declaration form available on the HEI website as part of the application form.
This form must be fully completed and signed by:
- your director of nursing or midwifery or the service manager
- your designated medical mentor
See page 2 of The Application Guidelines for the Education Programmes 2020 for more information.
Applicants can contact the programme coordinator in the HEI of interest for further information. Programme coordinator contact details are listed in the medicinal product prescribing education programmes flyer.
After you complete the programme
You will have to work for your employer/health service provider for at least 12 months or for the length of the academic programme undertaken, whichever is longer
Clare Mac Gabhann - National Lead and HSE South, Director of Nursing and Midwifery (Prescribing)
NMPDU HSE South
St Marys Health Campus
Ruth Hoban - HSE West, Assistant Director of Nursing and Midwifery (Prescribing)
Centre of Nurse and Midwifery Education
St Marys Campus