Return to nursing and midwifery practice
The purpose of the Return to Nursing and Midwifery Practice Programme is to provide nurses and midwives who wish to return to nursing and midwifery practice following an absence of 5 years or more, with the opportunity to update their knowledge and clinical skills.
Who can apply?
The Return to Practice Programme is available for:
- general nursing
- children’s nursing
- mental health nursing
- intellectual disability nursing
You can apply for a place on the Return to Practice Programme if:
- it has been 5 or more years since you practiced as a nurse or midwife
- you are on the active register or are eligible to apply to register with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland (NMBI)
For more information on the individual programmes read the Return to Practice Programme Module Descriptors:
- Return to general nursing (PDF, 79KB, 1 page)
- Return to midwifery practice (PDF, 73KB, 1 page)
- Return to children’s nursing (PDF, 46KB, 1 page)
- Return to mental health nursing (PDF, 71KB, 1 page)
- Return to intellectual disability (PDF, 70KB, 1 page)
Competency Assessment Tools
Overseas applicants undergo a period of adaptation and assessment. This assessment determines eligibility to register.
Competence Assessment Tools are in place for nurses and midwives. They provide:
- registered nurses and midwives in Irish health care facilities which are involved in the provision of an adaptation and assessment programme with guidance and information and the assessment framework
- detailed information to applicants from overseas undergoing a period of adaptation and assessment
Find a Return to Practice Programme
Return to Practice Programmes are available in Centres of Nursing and Midwifery Education throughout Ireland. Programmes may be provided in other CNME’s subject to sufficient demand.
The HR Circular 026/2015 - Financial Support for Nurses/Midwives Returning to Practice has full details of the financial supports available for nurses and midwives returning to practice.
How to apply
For details of supports available to you or to request an Expression of Interest form, contact:
Mairead Hallinan - Administrator of Return to Practice Programme
Phone: 01 813 1830