The purpose of the Return to Nursing and Midwifery Practice Programme is to provide nurses and midwives who wish to return to nursing and midwifery practice following an absence of 5 years or more, with the opportunity to update their knowledge and clinical skills.
Who can apply?
Applications for The Return to Practice Programme will be accepted from nurses/midwives registered in any of the following disciplines.
Psychiatric/Mental Health Nursing
Intellectual Disability Nursing
You can apply for a place on the Return to Practice Programme if:
- it has been 5 or more years since you practiced as a nurse or midwife
- you are on the active register or are eligible to apply to register with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland (NMBI)
Competency Assessment Tools
Competence Assessment Tools are in place for nurses and midwives. They provide:
- registered nurses and midwives in Irish health care facilities which are involved in the provision of an adaptation and assessment programme with guidance and information and the assessment framework
- detailed information to applicants from overseas undergoing a period of adaptation and assessment
The Domains of Competence Assessment are:
- Domain 1. Professional values and conduct of the nurse competencies
- Domain 2: Nursing practice and clinical decision making competencies
- Domain 3: Knowledge and cognitive competencies
- Domain 4: Communication and inter-personal competencies
- Domain 5: Management and team competencies
- Domain 6: Leadership and professional scholarship competencies
Important Vetting Information
- Garda Vetting will be processed by the hospital/service where you will be on clinical placement.
- International Police Clearance is also required before you commence the programme. If you have worked in a country/countries outside of Ireland for a period of 6 months or more, you will need to provide evidence of police clearance from each country. Please start this process now to ensure that you fulfil programme entry criteria on time. Any costs/fees for international clearance are your responsibility. You will not be eligible to undertake the RTN/MP programme without this clearance.
- Further information on Overseas Garda Vetting:
Overseas Garda Vetting (PDF, size 193.4 KB, 1 page)
Find a Return to Practice Programme
The application process for 2024 programme intake is now closed.
Mairead Hallinan - Administrator of Return to Practice Programme
Phone: 087 0969611