The foundation programme in sexual health promotion (FPSHP) is a 10-day training programme. It's for service providers wanting to develop their confidence, skills, and knowledge in sexual health promotion, and incorporate sexual health promotion into their work.
Who this programme is for
The FPSHP is for health, education, community, and youth sectors who can undertake sexual health promotion within their organisation.
- have the opportunity to improve their knowledge, skills, and confidence in relation to sexual health work in their organisation
- have access to a sexual health resource library to support their work in sexual health promotion in their organisation
- receive ongoing updates and newsletters relating to sexual health
- be notified of upcoming related training events
This programme takes a holistic, life-course approach to sexual health promotion.
The course content includes:
- sexual health promotion in the Irish context
- a life-course approach to sexual health (puberty, fertility, sexual function and dysfunction)
- physical sexual health (contraception and STIs)
- self-esteem and sexual health
- sex, society, and culture (including diversity and discrimination)
- Irish law and sexual health (including power and sex; healthy and unhealthy relationships)
- working safely around sexual health (including policy development and facilitation skills)
- assessing needs and action planning
The programme uses participatory and experiential methodologies.
The focus is on providing opportunities for:
- group work
- open discussion
- exploration of participants’ personal attitudes and values in relation to sexual health
The programme fee is covered by HSE Health Promotion and Improvement, Health and Wellbeing Division (HSE Midlands).
Mullingar town - the venue will be confirmed at interview stage
10-day course delivered across a 5 month period (2 days per month back to back).
The training days run from 9.30 am to 4.30 pm
Attendance at all 10 days is compulsory for certification.
All Tuesdays and Wednesdays:
- January 12th & 13th 2021
- February 9th & 10th 2021
How to apply
Application is a two-step process comprising an application form and telephone interview.
Interviews will take place the weeks of 15th and 22nd June 2020. Times will be arranged with each applicant prior to that.
Application forms must be signed by a line manager to confirm approval to attend the complete programme.
Hard copies of the application form are also available on request from theHealth Promotion & Improvement Office Tullamore. Contact Kathleen Pardy: 057 93 57828/57800 Kathleen.email@example.com.
Completed applications are posted to Margaret Whittaker, Health Promotion & Improvement, Floor 2, Scott Building, Midlands Regional Hospital Tullamore, Arden Rd, Tullamore, Co Offaly.
The FPSHP has been evaluated by Trinity College Dublin. It is certified by HSE Health Promotion & Improvement and endorsed by:
- The Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland Category 1(35 CEUs)
- Irish Association Social Workers Accredited
- Irish Association Counselling and Psychotherapy 60 hours attended
This course was interesting and engaging and delivered in a creative and innovative way. I was challenged to question my current knowledge base and the attitudes, values and beliefs underpinning it. It inspired me to subtly change my practice from waiting for the client to discuss their sexual health to seeing sex and sexuality as part of the whole person and worthy of mention in talking about general health and wellbeing. I highly recommend this course – a motivational learning treat! (Participant comment)
‘[name of participant] runs nurse-led smear clinics as part of the [names specialist] service. She educates and counsels patients regarding sexual health in these clinics. As a result of the course, her confidence in doing so has increased’ (Manager’s comment)