Who this training is for
The programme is aimed at nurses in non-specialist oncology roles who care for inpatients with a diagnosis of cancer. The recommended maximum number attending each programme is 25.
Entry criteria requires you to:
- provide confirmation with your current registration with NMBI on the active register in General Nursing
- be caring for cancer patients in acute hospitals, care of the elderly units, nursing homes or community-based hospitals or hospices
- complete the application form in advance of the programme, signed by the relevant manager, with a commitment to full attendance
- have worked for a minimum period of six months post-registration
- agree to study the recommended reading and undertake the work-based learning
The aim of this CPD programme is to enhance the cancer knowledge, skills and competence of nurses in non-specialist oncology roles in:
- inpatient settings
- care of the elderly units
- nursing homes
- community-based hospitals or hospices
It will enable nurses to:
- promote cancer prevention
- provide support through the diagnostic process and the treatment pathway
- promote survivorship
- provide palliative and end of life care
The programme is delivered as a three day (21 hours) theoretical programme, to include group work-based learning, reflection on practice and additional self-directed learning.
The programme consists of three days of learning:
Day 1: cancer statistics, epidemiology, cancer biology and nursing care
Day 2: treatment modalities, oncological/haematological emergencies and support
Day 3: psycho-oncology, survivorship, palliative and end of life care
There will be no formal assessment of learning but participants will take part in workshop-based scenarios. Reflection on learning and practice will be encouraged and facilitated.
The programme has been granted Category One approval with 21 Continuing Education Units (CEU) by the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland (NMBI).
The curriculum development and programme delivery are facilitated by:
- Office of the Nursing and Midwifery Services Director (ONMSD)
- Centres for Learning and Development (CLD)
- Centres of Nursing and Midwifery Education (CNME)
- Centres of Nurse Education (CNE)
- Nurse Practice Development Departments (NPDD)
- Education facilitators in oncology/haematology