Giving up smoking can be a challenge but there are things you can do to give yourself or a loved one the best chance of success.
Here are our top 5 tips to help you to quit
- Prepare: write down your reasons for quitting. Keep them close or stick them on your fridge as a reminder to stay strong.
- Change your routine and habits - do you normally have a cigarette with a coffee or tea? Then change your routine – have a cup of water instead or hold your cup in the other hand.
- Keep check on cravings –your craving for nicotine will peak at 3-5 minutes and will pass if you deal with it. Have you heard of the 4Ds?
Delay at least 3 – 5 minutes and the urge will pass;
Drink a glass of water or fruit juice;
Distract yourself, move away from the situation;
and Deep breathe – breathe slowly and deeply.
- Get by with a little help from your friends – supportive friends, family and even work colleagues could make all the difference to you on your QUIT journey. Find your local Smoking Cessation Service here. Check out the YouCanQuit support groups available on Facebook at Facebook/HSEquit
- The single best advice is to help yourself QUIT by getting support from the QUIT Team. Our service is available to everyone and is free of charge. By using a support service like our makes you twice as likely to succeed. Find details of your local free HSE stop smoking supports.
Some of the things you can do to help a loved quit:
- remind them to take it one day at a time and reward themselves throughout the quitting process
- encourage them to exercise regularly - this helps deal with withdrawal symptoms, avoids weight gain and improves mood
- remind them to look after themselves - to get plenty of sleep and eat well
- keep up their morale with lots of praise and encouragement
- allow for the occasional bad mood - be patient
- remind them about the benefits of giving up - each day without smoking is better for their health
- suggest they save the money that would have been spent on smoking and use it to treat themselves instead
If you would like to share your quitting story please feel free to get in touch with us at email@example.com
Support the campaign on social media. Find Quit at work campaign materials here