While some of our staff are never off their feet, many staff may be finding it difficult to reach their usual level of physical activity.
Physical activity is a great way to improve your physical and mental health. It releases chemicals in your brain (endorphins) that have a positive effect on your mood.
We should do at least 30 minutes of moderate physical activity at least 5 times a week. You know it’s moderate exercise when you're breathing more heavily and have a raised heartbeat.
Ways to maintain physical activity include:
- if you are sitting at a desk for long periods, set a 5 or 10-minute walking break every hour
- walk around when on your phone
- get 5 to 10 minutes exercise a few times a day and build up to the recommended 30 minutes 5 days a week
Aim for at least 30 minutes of moderate physical activity at least 5 times a week
Being active when you're not at work
You can be active when you're not at work by:
- getting a walk or jog in within 20km of your home to switch off from work
- dance with your family in the home to get everyone moving and in a good mood
- engage in indoor workouts such as jumping jacks and running or skipping on the spot
- follow workouts on YouTube workouts to get you sweating
- doing housework counts toward your activity goals - gardening, hoovering, cleaning floors and washing windows are all good ways of keeping active
If you are a part of a group that takes exercise, give them a call to see how they are doing. Or you could organise a Zoom call for the group to join you in some exercises.