Skip to main content


  • Annual Leave

    The number of hours you work per week determines how many days annual leave you will get. The HSE annual leave year runs from 1 April to 31 March.

  • Bereavement leave

    Bereavement leave is paid leave for an employee in the event of the death of an immediate family member. It's granted at the time of the bereavement to give the employee time off from work. It is not granted retrospectively.

  • Breastfeeding breaks

    Staff who are breastfeeding are entitled to breastfeeding breaks of up to one hour per normal working day. This is in addition to normal rest breaks.

  • Career breaks

    Employees who have completed their probation period can apply for a career break. The minimum period for a career break is one year and the maximum period is 5 years. You can have a maximum period of 3 career breaks which, when added up, do not exceed 8 years.

  • Carer's leave

    Carer's leave allows you to leave work temporarily to provide full-time care for someone who needs it. You can take carer's leave for a minimum of 13 weeks and up to a maximum of 104 weeks.

  • Force Majeure leave

    Force majeure leave can be used for urgent family reasons where the immediate presence of the employee is indispensable.

  • Jury service

    You may be excused from doing jury service depending on the nature of your work. Health service employees that can be excused from jury service include doctors, nurses, midwives, dentists, pharmacists.

  • Maternity leave

    You are entitled to 26 weeks maternity leave. During your leave, you are treated as if you are still at work and continue to accrue annual leave and public holiday entitlement.

  • Parental leave

    You can take 26 weeks parental leave per child. A period of parental leave must end when your child reaches 13. You need to have worked for at least 1 year before you can take parental leave.

  • Parent's leave

    Parent’s leave entitles each parent to 2 weeks’ leave during the first year of their child’s life. If you have enough PRSI contributions, you will get a weekly parent’s benefit paid by the Department of Employment and Social Protection (DEASP).