Sponsorship for the Nurse and Midwife Referral for Radiological Procedures Education Programme
Sponsorship is available for nurses and midwives who want to undertake the education programme to extend their scope of practice to refer for radiological procedures.
The programme is a level 8 special purpose award on the National Framework of Qualifications. The programme consists of theoretical content assessed by a series of written exams.
Who Can Apply
To apply for this programme you must:
- be currently registered in a division of the NMBI Register be actively registered as a RGN or RCN with NMBI
- be nominated by your director of nursing based on service need
- be employed by the voluntary or statutory services of the HSE
- be practicing in a designated clinical area where nurse referral of patients for radiological procedures is established or in the process of being established
- have a minimum of 1 year post-registration experience in the designated area of clinical practice
- have clinical governance arrangements are in place through a Local Implementation Group/Radiation Safety Committee
- have a designated clinical supervisor, who is a Registered Medical Practitioner.
Minimum Entry Requirements for Admission to the Nurse Education Programmes for Nurse Authority to Refer Persons for Radiological Procedures.
Students must be currently registered in a division of the NMBI Register.
Students for the
- Nurse Education Programme for Authority to Refer Adults and Children for Radiological Procedures
- Nurse Education Programme for Authority to Refer Adults for Radiological Procedures
must be registered as a nurse in the NMBI Register
Students for the
- Nurse Education Programme for Authority to Refer Children for Radiological Procedures
must be registered as a nurse and/or a children’s nurse in the NMBI Register.
Students must have at least the equivalent of a minimum of one-year recent post registration experience.
How to Apply
This education programme is available in:
- Regional Centre of Nursing and Midwifery Education Connolly Hospital (Currently on Hold until September 2022)
- University College Dublin (UCD)
- Trinity College Dublin(TCD)
- University College Cork (UCC)
As part of the HEI application process, you will need to download and complete the site declaration form available on the education providers website as part of the application form.
This form must be fully completed and signed by:
- your Director of Nursing/Midwifery or the Service Manager
- your designated Medical Mentor
- the Head of Radiology (Consultant Radiologist)
See Application Guideline for Nurse and Midwife for the NM Referrers for Radiological Procedures Education Programme July 2022 for more information.
Applicants can contact the programme coordinator in the education provider of interest for further information. Programme coordinator contact details are listed below:
Regional Centre of Nursing and Midwifery Education Connolly Hospital Applications
To apply for the programme, send a completed application form and a site declaration form signed by your director of nursing to:
Elizabeth Reilly - Programme Coordinator, Regional Centre of Nursing and Midwifery Education
Elizabeth Reilly - Programme Coordinator
Phone: 01 646 5425
Vivienne Browne - Director, Regional Centre of Nursing and Midwifery Education Connolly Hospital & St. Ita's Campus Portrane
Phone: 01 646 5459
University College Dublin (UCD) Applications
Applications are made online at: https://www.nmhs.ucd.ie/study-with-us/graduate-programmes/courses/professional-certificate-referring-radiological-procedur-0
There is a €50 application fee.
Eileen Bohan - Programme Director
Phone: 01 716 6418
Paul Masterson - Programme Administrator
Phone: 01 716 6448
Trinity College Dublin(TCD) Applications
Applications are made online at:https://nursing-midwifery.tcd.ie/micro-credentials/nurse-midwife-authority-to-refer-for-radiological-procedures.php
Dr Mary Hughes - Course Director
Phone: 01 4903319
Emma Duffy - Administrative Officer
Phone: 01 4902160
University College Cork (UCC) Applications
Applications are made online at: https://www.ucc.ie/en/nu6169/
Patrick Cotter - Lecturer in Advanced Nursing Practice
Phone: 021 490 1640
Anna O' Leary
Phone: 021 4901483
After Completion of the Education Programme
You will have to work for your employer/health service provider for at least 12 months or for the length of the academic programme undertaken, whichever is longer
On successful completion of the programme the Nurse and Midwife Referrers for Radiological Procedures and the Director of Nursing have the following responsibilities:
Nurse and Midwife Referrers of Patients for Radiological Procedures must
- ensure they have successfully completed the education programme approved by the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland (NMBI),
- present evidence of successful completion of the programme to the Director of Nursing/Midwifery,
- ensure they are entered on the "Database" for registered nurses and midwives with authority to refer for radiological procedures.
The Director of Nursing/Midwifery or his/her nominee must
- upon receipt of notification that the nurse/midwife has successfully completed the education programme, the Director of Nursing/Midwifery or nominee will arrange to have the nurse’s/ midwife’s name entered onto the database,
- authorise the nurse/midwife referrer in writing commence referring patients for radiological procedures,
- inform the Head of Radiology (Consultant Radiologist) and the Chair of the Local Implementation Group/Radiation Safety Committee, of the nurses/midwives authority to commence referring for radiological procedures and
Arranges for the registration template to be completed and returned to the National Lead for the Implementation and Audit of Nurse and Midwife Referral for Radiological Procedures.
Sponsorship of Nursing & Midwifery Education Initiatives - 020 2014 HSE HR Circular
Application Guideline for Nurse and Midwife for the NM Referrers for Radiological Procedures Education Programme July 2022
Maureen Nolan - Director of Nursing, National Lead for the Implementation and Audit of Nurse and Midwife Referral for Radiological Procedures.
Phone: 086 601 2195